side effects of being friends with me include gaining extensive knowledge of bands you dont listen to or care about
- Matty: Being forward. Asking questions like that. It's confidence, isn't it? Whatever type of person you are, if you see that in somebody else, that's very attractive, isn't it? The idea of narcissism, of mirroring oneself. So I like it.
- George: You like girls that remind you of you?
- Matty: Yeah, a little bit! (laughs) We like a challenge. I like girls who don't know who I am. That's my favorite kind of girl, because it goes back to normal. Because now, everywhere we go, we go somewhere because of the band. We don't have days off. So every girl you meet knows who you are because of the band. I think it's sexy when girls aren't really interested. It's the chase, isn't it? It's what everybody likes.
- Adam: The thing I really like about the girl I'm seeing at the moment is you can have a conversation [with her]. She has interesting things to say.
- Matty: God, this is all we ever hear. He's so in love with this girl. She's really cool though.
- Adam: She's very intelligent. She's like one of the cleverest people you'll ever know.
- George: I like massive curly hair.
- Matty: We like blonde afros. That seems to be a thing. But that's a very physical kind of thing. We're trying to be a bit more romantic, but a blonde afro will do.
- George: I'd like to meet a girl who cares about politics, but I've never met one.
- Matty: You've never met one? [You're] hanging around the wrong circles, hanging out with us lot. Where are we going to meet girls that like politics?
- George: Humanist girls.
- Matty: Yeah, yeah, a proper humanitarian. But they're not gonna go for a drummer in a band. They're gonna go for some dude who works for Greenpeace who lives in Brighton.
So when people leave, I’ve learned the secret: let them. Because, most of the time, they have to.
Let them walk away and go places. Let them have adventures in the wild without you. Let them travel the world and explore life beyond a horizon that you exist in. And know, deep down, that heroes aren’t qualified by their capacity to stay but by their decision to return.— The Staying Philosophy (Everyday Isa)